The thoughts and writings of a second career ELCA Lutheran pastor starting his second call in Oklahoma.
Formerly an inner-city recreation director and a high school football coach.
My thoughts are my own and do not reflect those of important people or organizations.
My World Is A Flood, Slowly I Become One With The Mud
Get link
Facebook
X
Pinterest
Email
Other Apps
Sorry for the lack of posts, but I've been up to my eyeballs in work. Another week, another 250 pages to read, 10 pages to write, 20 sentences in Greek to translate, 2 songs to learn and a new church to attend. Such is the life of a first year seminarian at the Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg. But, here are some things to get off my mind to clear shelf space.
Notre Dame should be preparing to fire Charlie Weiss. They fired Tyrone Willingham in his third year for going 6-5. Weiss will get NOWHERE near that. Did he not realize that his offensive line was going to be horrible and not recruit any HS All Americans or transfers?
I really like my classes. I'm not so fond of all of the reading, but I enjoy what I'm reading. I especially enjoy the readings in Homiletics (Preaching) and Worship. Discovering more about the practices of the Church is enlightening.
Being able to read (almost) the original writings of the New Testament in Greek shows a layer of complexity and subtlety that is missing in many translations. It's like being able to read the Gospel in high-definition.
The Lions are 2-0. I haven't studied Revelation, but I think that is one of the signs. I'll get back to you.
The best sermon I've heard in quite a while was a lecture on the theology of the cross. I wish I'd have taped it. I would have had sermon ideas for years.
My guilty TV pleasure: Rock of Love. Any of the VH1 celebrity dating shows (Flavor-Flav!) are must see-train wreck TV.
I have been setting the alarm early to watch the US Women's team in the Women's World Cup. They have an excellent chance to win it all. The only teams that have enough talent to compete are Germany and North Korea, and one gets knocked off in the first game on the other part of the bracket.
TV shows I'll be taping (in case I'm studying when they're on): Survivor, How I Met Your Mother, Scrubs. TV shows I'll watch & the readings will get done later - Lost & Heroes.
This week's video du jour of the week is from Jars of Clay - Flood.
Lift me up - when I'm falling. Lift me up - I'm weak and I'm dying.
Lift me up - I need you to hold me. Lift me up - Keep me from drowning again
Pastor Brian Campbell's sermon for February 14's Church at Home service on Deuteronomy 30:9-20, Moses' farewell address. Moses told the people of Israel to choose God. Pastor Brian connected this command to Bonhoeffer's call for costly grace. Both views mean that we need to put God first in our lives. Grace, peace, & mercy to you from our God, our Creator, our Christ, & our Counselor. AMEN. · If you could give younger you advice, what would you say? o Would you warn yourself who or what to avoid, or what to pursue? § Maybe suggest buying some stock in some funny sounding computer companies? o That is what some Biblical scholars believe is happening in this part of the book of Deuteronomy. § The Hebrew Bible, what we have referred to as the Old Testament only began to appear in written form while the people of Israel were in exile in Babylon. They wrote it down to preserve it. They were afraid they and their culture were on the edge of ...
"1985" by Bowling for Soup A quick tale of woe from a second-career seminarian. I don't know how the conversation got started, (I blame Law & Gospel ) but I got in a conversation with some of my class mates who are pipeliners. The discussion was about embarassing clothing. I grew up in the 70's & 80's, the two decades that provided the most opportunities for fashion crimes. If you were ever at the height of fashion coolness in those decades, you do NOT want to show anyone those photos now. One of my classmates (bless her heart) said, "I didn't even go to school in the 80's." I honestly have clothes here with me that are older than many of my classmates. I'll take my arthritic knees and kneel to pray before I go to bed. Hopefully I can get up. I know my experience will pay off sometime soon, but how long must I wait O Lord?
--> This is my manuscript for the Reformation Sunday services. The actual sermon was pretty much like this. Today we commemorate the Reformation of the church. We remember it’s beginning from October 31, 1517, when Father Martin Luther, a Catholic priest, nailed his 95 Thesis to the front door of the Wittenberg Castle Cathedral. Copies of those theses have been included in your bulletins, as well as attached to the doors of our church. I didn’t think it was a good idea to put them on the doors at St. Mary’s. If you read through Luther’s 95 Thesis, you will see that they have to do with the forgiveness of sins, and abuses he believed the priests in Germany were taking in requiring penance and selling indulgences, granting forgiveness for sins that you had not yet committed or purchasing the forgiveness of sins of those who have died. Luther was concerned that the act of forgiving sins was focused too much on the priest granting people forgiveness, and what the pers...
Comments