As the innumerable grains of sand


Wilderness - sand

Therefore from one person, and this one as good as dead, descendants were born ‘as many as the stars of heaven and as the innumerable grains of sand by the seashore.  - Hebrews 11:12

Prayer
Wilderness – a place of wonder, of expansion, of terror, of desolation;
Wilderness – a state that allows great potential to be born within us,
yet often through utterly rigorous testing
That we truly question whether we will get through it;
Wilderness – a condition that calls out deep prayer from within us.
Wilderness – a place of un-ending-ness;
No clear end in sight;
Goals missing or never materialising;
Monotony of every day;
Slow, plodding, getting nowhere.
How many of our days are like this?
Sand, sand and more sand;
Barrenness, no purpose, no meaning.
And God said ‘I will indeed bless you, and I will make your offspring as numerous
as the stars of heaven and as the sand that is on the seashore.’
God speaks poetry and inspiration
into the very fabric of the wilderness
God places a treasure, which invites a change of perspective that transforms
unending desert into infinite potential – from lack and distress to hope and promise,
Even when I cannot see the promise fulfilled – yet.
Help me see the treasure in the ‘sand’ of my life;
Heal me, free me, turn me around to see the wonder in the tired, weary, monotonous aspects of my life now;
Expand my limited way of looking, my restricted feeling of myself,
And do this for others, too, who I now name and ask that they know your blessing.
Amen.

Blessing
I trust in your purpose in my life
I trust in your promises in my life
I trust I will find my way
I trust.

Lord, even though I am but a grain of sand I know I am Your grain of sand put here and now to serve You. Guide me to do Your will and to join with Your other grains of sand to not be shifting sand, but to be a firm foundation for your church, both here on Earth and in Your Kingdom. Amen.

Comments

Law+Gospel said…
Sounds like exegesis for your favorite class
BRC said…
No, just stuff from a site I stopped going to and remembered that I need to.

Popular posts from this blog

Oh Yeah, Football

Lutheran Carnival LV

And Music Still On MTV