My half time mini-sermon

My writer's block got cured sometime around 3:30 a.m. This is the text of my mini-sermon that I pulled a near all nighter to put together. It's not exactly what came out because I worked from an outline, but it's close enough. In case you get bored, here are some pictures of the prettiest and best seminary in the megaverse ... THE Lutheran Theological Seminary (which is located in Gettysburg, PA.) I think we should go Ohio State and add the THE (2 of the 24 ways to say it) and drop the location. After all, everyone else is just copying off of us.

According to the grace given to us, we have different gifts: If prophecy, use it according to the standard of faith; if service, in service; if teaching, in teaching; if exhorting, in exhortation; giving, with generosity; leading, with diligence; showing mercy, with cheerfulness." – Romans 12:6-8

I love coaching football. Besides missing my family and friends back in Michigan, not being able to coach this year has been the biggest issue I have had about coming to the Seminary. I enjoyed the Luther Bowl, but it’s not the same as putting together a team of 40 to 50 people with completely different abilities, working with them day after day, and year after year, to get them to all work together for the same task. A coach has to match the abilities with their team, each player’s strengths and weaknesses to a role on the team where that person can contribute to the team’s glory.
We all have our role in the Lord’s grand plan. We have different talents for the different tasks that God wants us to do. No matter what your talent is, be sure to use it to serve and bring glory to God.
Three months ago, I moved to the strange and wonderful state of Pennsylvania. I was not really sure what I had gotten myself into. But every day I came to class and was astounded and astonished by the talents and gifts of the saints that God has surrounded me with. If, during this near the end of the semester flurry that we face, if the volumes to read and the volumes to write have you down, and you’re contemplating a career in the fast food industry. If you start to doubt your call, suck it up. Quit your whining. You are where you need to be when you need to be here.
I know God has called all of you to be his saints and prophets. The depth to which so many of you have heard your call amazes me. So many of you heard the calls so clearly so early. So many of you heard the call so clearly that you were willing to uproot your entire family, including new additions to your family here to Gettysburg. To uproot them and move across the state or across the country to hear the call of God. I know that all of you have been called to be servants to the Gospel, called to proclaim the salvation to all who believe that Jesus Christ is God’s Only Son, our Savior.
But our seminary career is a lot like putting together a football team. Working with 40 to 50 people with different abilities, day after day, and year after year, to get them to all work together for the same task. Matching each player’s strengths and weaknesses to a role on the team where that person can contribute to the team’s glory.
I do not know what everyone’s role on God’s team will be. Some may have the fame and honor of being bishops and renown theologians. Some may be the linemen and have the anonymous, but vital task of parish ministry. Some may be on the special teams as diaconal ministers or serving in other roles. But, we are all a part of the body of Christ, each with our own abilities. We are all on the Lord’s team, each with our own responsibilities. GO IN PEACE AND GO TEAM!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Oh Yeah, Football

Lutheran Carnival LV

And Music Still On MTV