Most Asked Question? ... Survey Says!

While I have been home in the middle of the Mitten State, I have had a chance to talk to a lot of relatives, friends, former co-workers and random people, many who have had questions about my change in career paths. Besides telling them I'm doing it for the wardrobe and the work hours (weekends and holidays ON), I've had to answer a gazillion theological/religious questions. Couldn't THE LTS have given us a pamphlet with the FAQ for rookie seminarians returning home?

But the top question(s), start with "What are your classmates like?" After starting to describe them in glowing terms, setting the case for their sainthood, they politely interrupt and ask, "No, what ages are they and where do they come from?" Besides a special corner of the Heavens, I share that most are from Pennsylvania, with some scattered from around the east coast and a few wanderers from Michigan, Minnesota, California & Alaska. Age wise, many pipeliners or neo-pipeliners (c), but quite a few second career people like me, as well as some people taking this on after retiring. Somewhere, mid ramble, I will have mentioned that my classmates include women. Shock, horror, amazement! Women can become ordained ministers?????

Yes, my out-on-the-fringe denomination (I REALLY should stop reading some the the LCMS hatespeech blogs) actually lets women be ordained. We don't allow a questionable interpretation (Don't interpret the Bible! It speaks for itself!) to silence 52% of the population and shove them off to bake cookies and knit things, regardless how good the cookies and sweaters are. They actually are allowed to speak the Word of God.

I can not begin to think of how less rich my seminary experience would be if the ladies were barred from entry. I can not fathom how much poorer our knowledge would be if we silenced the female perspective. I can not think of what I would do with the extra time if I didn't have all of the Rev Gals blogs to read. I can not imagine excluding such brilliant and gifted thinkers from using their God given gifts.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Oh Yeah, Football

Lutheran Carnival LV

And Music Still On MTV