Our Story So Far ...

Well, I realize it has been quite a while since I've had a significant post. Hopefully, this will be the dying quail (baseball term) that ends the slump.
I'm on call at my CPE hospital tonight and am hoping a warm first day of Summer evening, with a bonus of a full moon, will be quiet. Yeah, right.

So far, CPE has been what I thought, heard and feared it would be. It has made me confront some of the nasty boogymen who live under my mental bed. (I never liked the monster's in the closet; under the bed was much scarier.) I posted about having a hard time getting the flatline tone out of my head when a patient passed away. I've had to deal with a couple of other families who have been dealing with a loved one passing away. In my mind, I was remembering being on the other end of the conversation and not hearing anything useful or helpful. So since my expectatitions were low, I think I met them.

I knowingly chose an area of the hospital that would cause me to confront the monsters under the bed. And I like to cause myself mental pain. Not surprisingly, some of my fellow 'Burger CPE'ers did the same. BOY, ARE WE STUPID OR WHAT? If CPE is not already a draining, confronting your baggage experience, we decide to add a degree of difficulty. And the Russian judge isn't impressed. I know Nietzsche said, "That which does not kill you makes you stronger." (It might have been Conan the Barbarian, but whatever.) But my corallary for that is "Unless it is self inflicted. Then it's just stupid."

On the homefront, number of non-Mom calls from Michigan = 4. One was to tell me how a Dr. visit she had went and the other 3 were where-I-used-to-work-related. The number of "Hey, Brian, I just wanted to call to see how you are doing." calls = 0. That should explain today's YouTube du jour of the week. Edited 06/22 @ 9:49 a.m.



Elton John - Can You Feel The Love Tonight (from Disney's The Lion King)

BTW, after finishing my overnight shift, I have one piece of advice. Wear your seatbelts!

Comments

Trish said…
People suck sometimes. Sorry 'bout that, but I'm confident you already knew it.

Another piece of advice: Sign your driver's license and tell your family!
Anonymous said…
"I knowingly chose an area of the hospital that would cause me to confront the monsters under the bed."

Good call if you ask me. CPE is your chance to grow and develop your pastoral identity. Sounds to me like you are doing just that.

The congregation that is fortunate to have you as pastor will be well served and much loved because you are choosing to learn the hard lessons. I'll continue to pray for you and your family as you continue on this journey.

Popular posts from this blog

Oh Yeah, Football

Lutheran Carnival LV

And Music Still On MTV