Three things you should do every day

I'm doing well. I've had some people, especially after reading my last few posts, who have been worried about me. Now that the 900 lb. gorilla of CPE is off my back, I'm in a good mood. I've gotta write an essay to continue to pursue my dream and move my furniture out from Michigan. But I'm resting, recharging the batteries and getting ready for the next semester.
Reflecting back on CPE, the words of one of the great speeches I ever heard kept echoing through my mind. Jim Valvano was the head coach for North Carolina State in the 80's. He lead his Wolfpack team to one of the great upsets of all time over the Phi Slamma Jamma team from Houston with Hakeem Olajuwon & Clyde Drexler. After his coaching career was over, he became an analyst on ESPN with Dick Vitale for some of the most enjoyable segments ever on TV. Jimmy V was diagnosed with bone cancer in 1992. At the 1993 ESPYs, Jimmy V was given the Arthur Ashe Courage Award. His 9 minute speech was a bit of a ramble, but was poinent, and had an auditorium of athletes in tears and stitches. His most well known quote from that speech is the motto of his foundation (JimmyV.org), "Don't give up. Don't ever give up." But I think this part of the speech is more memorable, and echoes with me on a regular basis.
"To me, there are three things we all should do every day. We should do this every day of our lives. Number one is laugh. You should laugh every day. Number two is think. You should spend some time in thought. And Number three is, you should have your emotions moved to tears, could be happiness or joy. But think about it. If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special."

During CPE, I had a lot of "a heck of a days." I'm starting to realize that it was a good thing.
Jim Valvano-1993 ESPYs

I'm enjoying some time off, and trying to have a heck of a day.

Comments

Anonymous said…
What a great reflection and insight concerning your CPE experience.

Popular posts from this blog

Oh Yeah, Football

Lutheran Carnival LV

And Music Still On MTV