My Heart Is Sore, My Tears A'flow, We Saw Him Go

Today is the third anniversary of my father's death.
With all that is going on, with assignment, and graduation and the call process looming, I miss him so much.

No matter what was going on, he would listen to me, and then tell me what I needed to hear. Not what I wanted to hear, but what I needed to hear. When I needed reassurance, he gave it. When I needed a kick in the ass, he'd do it.

The last real conversation I had with him was the day before the car accident that eventually took his life. I had received the class reports for the fall semester and read them to him. He told me how very proud of me that he was. When I was told of the accident that he and my mother were in, I was told not to come home, it wasn't that serious. But when he took a turn for the worse, I drove back to Saginaw overnight. I stopped by the hospital when I got in at 4 am, and got into see him. He was in a great deal of pain, and was struggling. But he knew I was there. He squeezed my hand in response to questions I asked him. But when I held his hand as he breathed his last, I knew his struggle was over. His viewing at the funeral home and his funeral were displays of love for the many people he touched in his life.

I hope I can be half the man he was.

The Chieftans w/ Sting - Mo Ghile Mear (My Gallant Darling)


Chorus:
'Se/ mo laoch, mo Ghile Mear
'Se/ mo Chaesar Gile Mear
Suan na/ se/an ni/ bhfuaireas fe/in
O/ chuaigh i gce/in mo Ghile Mear

Grief and pain are all I know
My heart is sore
My tears a'flow
We saw him go ....
No word we know of him...
Chorus

A proud and gallant cavalier
A high man's scion of gentle mien
A fiery blade engaged to reap
He'd break the bravest in the field
Chorus

Come sing his praise as sweet harps play
And proudly toast his noble frame
With spirit and with mind aflame
So wish him strength and length of day
Chorus

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Oh Yeah, Football

Lutheran Carnival LV

And Music Still On MTV