Lord, What Do You Want Me To Do?

This is my newsletter article for Nazareth's January newsletter. I forgot to post it and Ananias' article for the same newsletter. Sorry, still getting used to this whole 3 church thing. - Pbc

Saul, trembling and astonished, said, “Lord, what do You want me to do?” Then the Lord said to him, “Arise and go into the city, and you will be told what you must do.” –
Acts 9:6 NKJV

This verse has changed my life. On one of the windows at the chapel at the Lutheran Theological Seminary in Gettysburg, there is a picture of Saul, who has been blinded by the Risen Christ, reciting those words. Actually, it is the original King James Version, “Lord, what wouldst thou have me do?”

Whenever I was trying to figure out why God wanted me to become a pastor, I would go into the chapel, and in prayer, stare at that window, and ask, “Lord, what do you want me to do?”

I realized that in asking that question, and being willing to embrace the answer was a big scary step. But I felt freed by having made the leap to go to into ministry.

I quit a job that I liked, and was good at, that I had held for 17 years. I put the house I bought on the market. I moved three states away from everyone I had ever known. I left my family and friends behind.

I discovered that window when I went to Gettysburg for a visit. I was pretty sure I was going to go into ministry, but thought I would go to seminary in Ohio. Visiting Gettysburg was a cheap vacation. But when I arrived on campus, it just felt right. So when I saw that window, I asked, “Lord, what do you want me to do?”

As we are entering into this new arrangement and begin to consider where we go from here, I invite you to prayerfully ask God that question. Ask it specifically for our churches, but also, if you are willing, ask it for yourself.

Be prepared for the answer God puts in your heart. It may not be what you expected or wanted.

But that is where the excitement begins. Travelling a path that you do not know where it ends.

Yours in the journey with Christ,
Pastor Brian

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Oh Yeah, Football

Lutheran Carnival LV

And Music Still On MTV