Everything Belongs To God

This is Ananias' article from the April Messenger newsletter.

The Earth is the Lord’s and all that is in it; the world, and those who live in it; for he has founded it on the seas, and established it on the rivers. – Psalm 24:1-3

My Big Guy read chapter two of Ask, Thank, Tell to me, the book I wrote about last month. It was all about gifts.

I like gifts. My Big Guy will give me the gift of toys to play with. I get so happy when he gives them to me. I run around the house and shake them. I’ll find a comfy place to lay down and play with it and chew on it.

Sometimes, I play a little too rough with the toys and chew a hole in them and all the stuff comes out of them. Sometimes, when I shake it, I don’t have as good a grasp on it as I think I do, and it goes flying around the house.

When those things happen, My Big Guy takes the toy away. Sometimes forever, or sometimes, for a little while.

The point of the chapter in Ask, Thank, Tell is that the gifts we get from God aren’t ours. They still belong to God.

When My Big Guy gives me a toy, even though I chew and drool on it, it still belongs to him. He trusts me to use it the right way, but it is ultimately his.

It is like that with the talents, abilities and blessings that God gives you. You use them to do things. You use them to help others. You use them to provide for your family. But they still belong to God, because everything comes from God.

The man who wrote the book says we don’t take ownership or control over the gifts God gives. We are just trusted to use them how God wants us to use them.

I realize that the toys I play with are given to me by My Big Guy because he loves me and wants me to learn and have fun. But, they belong to him. I just get to use them.

If you think about the blessings and gifts God has given you in those terms, you start to think differently about everything. My Big Guy read a quote from Genesis in the book that God has given people dominion over the Earth.

I didn’t know what dominion was, so My Big Guy said it was like being a manager. You have responsibilities, but you aren’t the owner. That’s like when he goes away, and leaves me in charge of the house. I make sure nothing happens while he is away. So I’ll bark at the squirrels and tell them to stay away; Ananias is in charge. Being a manager is hard work. That’s one of the reasons I’m so happy when he comes home. I don’t have to be in charge.

But the fact that My Big Guy trusts me enough to leave me in charge shows that he thinks I will do the right thing.

I want to make him happy and proud of me by doing what I should with the gifts and responsibilities he gives me.

We should do the same with the gifts God gives us as well.

Licks and Love, Ananias

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Oh Yeah, Football

Lutheran Carnival LV

And Music Still On MTV