Prayers for Today

Supposing him to be the gardener, she said to him, ‘Sir, if you have carried him away, tell me where...' John 20:15


Lord God,
It was on a green hill far away that we think of you on that cross.
A red bloody day when the sky turned black...
but on a green hill.

And when you stood before Mary on that first Easter day
We think of you in the green garden with the empty tomb –
Not because the scenery is described but because you are:
And you were thought to be the gardener.

In the garden of your world, God,
We build things out of things you grew.
We snatch at life that has taken time to be.

We trample on detail and intimate design
And hammer a cross to stand on a green hill.

But beneath it all and about it all is your greenery, God,
Your life force to be reckoned with,
Your breath blowing butterflies in the breeze,
Your water of life nourishing and replenishing,
Your sun warming and comforting seed and creature.

Yes, you are the gardener, God,
Down to earth – planting and pruning
But waiting patiently too
For Mary, and us
to recognise the gardener,
Then hear the teacher,
then receive the saviour.

From the "Pray Now" series, from the Church of Scotland.



Thank you, faithful God, that I can come to you for help in all that I do.
Forgive me for the many times that I rely on my own selfish will and fail to ask for your direction.
Guide me as I struggle to know your will for my life.
Renew my mind and fill me with your Spirit. Amen.

From "Daily Texts" from the Moravian Church.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Oh Yeah, Football

Lutheran Carnival LV

And Music Still On MTV