Back from Gettysburg

I made it home from Gettysburg earlier this evening. It's just a little 10.5 hour commute. I'll write more about the weekend in the next few days after I catch up on my sleep. But a quick story on the trip down.

John the Baptist is the person about whom Isaiah writes:
"Make His path straight, Every valley will be filled and every mountain and hill will be made low. The crooked will become straight" (Luke 3:4-6 / Isaiah 40:3-5)

John the Baptist never made it to western Pennsylvania and especially US 30 from Breezewood to Fort Louden. Now there are not a lot (ok, none) of mountains in Michigan. But I've never seen a road with as many hairpin turns and truck runoffs. I'm sure the civil engineer who designed that road went onto a more lucrative career designing roller coasters.

When I arrived at the seminary, I was walking around and went into the library. I told the librarians about my jouney, and one of them said, Poor dear, we'll find a different route for you to go home." They did, although I wasn't crazy about taking 5 tunnels through mountains.

In case you think I'm exagerating, take a look at this section of the Lincoln Trail (or Lincoln Way) Be sure to use the hybrid view.

I'll post more (including pictures), but I want to thank Rev. Mark Olsen (especially for quieting the the pipes), Barbara Eisenhart and Kelli Leonard for putting on a great weekend.

Comments

David said…
Congratulations on your decision to attend Gettysburg. I am a student at Southern Seminary in Columbia, SC on internship right now. You are going to enjoy your time at seminary.

I too am a second career 40-something Husband and father. I quit my job three years ago and I haven't looked back once.

Prayers for you and your family on these first steps of the journey.

Popular posts from this blog

Oh Yeah, Football

Lutheran Carnival LV

And Music Still On MTV