You Set My Feet Upon A Rock And Made My Footsteps Firm

The deluge continued 40 days on the earth ... Genesis 7:17

U2 - 40 (Live from Chicago)


Today marks the 40th day that the Junior Class (those who survived Summer Greek) have been seminarians. To celebrate, we are refusing to go to our regularly scheduled classes! We will spend it in joyous celebration of fellowship and communal care, nourishing ourselves on manna and the finest malt beverages. Or we will sit through a day long seminar on Sexual Abuse Prevention drinking coffee & eating junk food. We have to count the votes first.

In these first 40 days, my biggest challenge has been trusting God. He has more faith in me than I have in myself. Sometimes the enormity of this undertaking makes me wonder if I am the right person. While I have faith and know I should be here, a nagging doubt whispers in my ear and asks if I am really sure.

I am getting rid of the rust on my studying skills. The work load is challenging. I do not think I have bit off more than I can chew, but I have discovered the limits of what I can chew.
My house is on the market to be sold. I have faith it will soon sell, so I can use the proceeds to help finance my education.
I have uprooted myself and moved across the country. Before I got onto campus, I did not know anyone who lived in Pennsylvania. But during the intensive Summer Greek, and the first few weeks of this semester, I have met many wonderful people who will be lifelong colleagues and friends.

But every time I have doubts, God puts a professor or staff member in my way with a smile or an encouraging word. When I need help, a classmate answers questions, helps with the studying or provides a shoulder to lean on. When I worry about how I will pay for all of this, God puts some financial aid information in my mailbox. When I miss my family and friends, God moves someone to call, or email or send cookies. When I wonder what I have gotten myself into, God answers my unspoken prayer that I am in the right place at the right time. In the thirty days I have been here, I have been in awe of my classmates, professors, surroundings and the entire experience so many times that I am reassured I have been called to be in this place and experience these blessings. No matter how uncertainties and insecurities may try to convince me otherwise, I know this is where I should be and this is what I should be doing.
Thank you to all of the students, faculty and staff at LTSG. You don't know how a little gesture could be the one that was needed the most. Thanks be to God, from whom all blessings flow.

40 (Words & Music by U2; inspired by Psalm 40 & 6)

I waited patiently for the Lord. He inclined and heard my cry. He brought me up out of the pit, Out of the miry clay.

I will sing, sing a new song. I will sing, sing a new song. How long to sing this song? How long to sing this song? How long, how long, how long, How long to sing this song?

You set my feet upon a rock and made my footsteps firm. Many will see, many will see and hear.

I will sing, sing a new song. I will sing, sing a new song. I will sing, sing a new song. I will sing, sing a new song. How long to sing this song? How long to sing this song? How long to sing this song? How long to sing this song?

Comments

Law+Gospel said…
I am a little worried that you are counting how long we have been here. How about a Greek countdown instead?;) I agree- every time I think it is all too much, there is someone or something that God places before me that reminds me where I need to be. How long to sing this song? That is for God to say.
Unknown said…
It is often a difficult adjustment to get those readying/studying/writing chops back into shape. Hang in there - it gets easier. And I will be thinking of you and the rest of the class as you enjoy the wonders of the Sexual Abuse Prevention workshop.

Glad to here that your Junior year is off to such a good start.

Popular posts from this blog

Oh Yeah, Football

Lutheran Carnival LV

And Music Still On MTV