I Heard The News Today, Oh No

I got a call from home today. Mom & Dad told me about the news back home. Two kids were shot while attending a middle school football game. A game at the middle school where I started my coaching career. The school coached by a very good friend of mine. The two students seem to be ok, considering they were shot. One, it appears, had a disagreement with the shooter earlier in the day, and so the shooter went home, got a gun and hunted the victim down to settle the argument and shoot him. The other victim just got in the way. Early reports are that all 3 are students at the high school where I had been coaching. The one that just made the playoffs for the first time since I started coaching there.
To recap: A teenager got into a disagreement with another teenager. Teenager #1 got upset and got a loaded gun. T1 then located the person who he disagreed with at a football game with several hundred people around. T1 decided to settle the disagreement by shooting at the other person while they were in the middle of a crowd. Here's the thing, I know there are people in my hometown who will rationalize this and say the kid had to do something to pi$$ T1 off.
IMHO, the real problem is that for T1 and so many kids today, there is no value to life. To theirs, yours, mine, anyone's. Their anger is worth more than someone's life. They do not treasure their life, they don't think they are special. They've not been told they're special. If their life doesn't matter to them, what do you think your life will matter to them? A gun is just another way to make someone hurt. You say something bad about me, I can react. But rather than saying something mean back, or maybe pushing you, they want to win the argument. Permanently.
The people I had lunch with on Sunday from my teaching parish said "This is a rough line of work you're going into." After hearing from home, I can't think of one that is more sorely needed. It is only through knowing that you are divinely created that you realize you are special. You know who you are by whose you are.
I've been to funerals for kids who died way too soon. All by accident, either doing something they shouldn't or being the wrong place at the wrongest time. While I don't doubt God's plan or ability to use evil intents to make good outcomes, this puzzles me.
Psalm 22:1-2, 11, 19-20
I groan in prayer, but help seems far away. My God, I cry out during the day, but you do not answer, and during the night my prayers do not let up.
Do not remain far away from me, for trouble is near and I have no one to help me.
But you, O LORD, do not remain far away! You are my source of strength! Hurry and help me! Deliver me from the sword! Save my life from the claws of the wild dogs!
Merciful Creator, You created all there is and all there will be. Send Your Spirit to us to teach us to value Your creations - be they plants, animals, the environment or each other. Because until we see value, we will not treat Your Works, or You, with respect. Instill in us the common sense to realize that everything created by You is divine and special, and should be treated accordingly. I beseech You, do this before another life is needlessly lost. I ask this in Our Savior's Name. AMEN.
EDIT -- 11:30 p.m Turns out there were 4 people shot, 3 bystanders and the one person who T1 was shooting at. A suspect has been arrested, and a possible accomplice has been detained.

Comments

Trish said…
Wow. That's a tough situation those people are in. I'm sorry to hear that such anger has been shown in a place that you know. I agree wholeheartedly with you on the need for teens (and for all people) to know how special life is. You and your "ex" community are in my prayers.

Popular posts from this blog

Oh Yeah, Football

Lutheran Carnival LV

And Music Still On MTV