Coach's Original Musiquarium, Day 1

At my CPE site, I am responsible for devotions before our morning reports. I'll be posting them later in each day.

On August 1, I drove to Gettysburg to move into my new life. While I was excited and terrified to start a new adventure, I really wanted to see the apartment I would be living in. I knew it wasn’t the type I had requested, but I didn’t know how big (or small) it was. I was moving from a 2 story, 3 bedroom house of over 1200 square feet into a single bedroom apartment. Or so I thought. When I opened the door, my heart sank through my chest, legs, feet, floor and beyond. The dorm room is 16 by 13. My living room is that big. And my living room did not include a refrigerator, bed, desk, stove and dining room table in it.
One of the ways that I’ve handled times when I just needed to think, is to get in my car and drive. The hour long drive back to Gettysburg has helped me a lot this summer. When I got into my car and turned it on, I heard the following lyrics.
“You can't always get what you want
But if you try sometimes well you just might find
You get what you need”
I don’t think the Rolling Stones have ever been considered a Christian band, or “a voice from above.” But their lyrics about the end of the wild living London of the 1960’s spoke to me. As I heard many times during the semesters at Gettysburg, and during CPE; it’s not about me.
Many of the patients and their families that we encounter are having to face the dilemma that Mick Jagger & Keith Richards wrote about. They can’t always get what they want. But their time in the hospital may prove to be what they need.
I know that is true for me. After my father died, the thought of spending the summer in a hospital made me sick. But I hope that my time doing CPE may be what I need.
As it is written in the Gospel of Matthew:
“Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing?
Therefore do not worry, saying, “What will we eat?” or “What will we drink?” or “What will we wear?” For it is the Gentiles who strive for all these things; and indeed your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. But strive first for the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. ‘So do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring worries of its own. Today’s trouble is enough for today.” (Matthew 6: 25, 31-34)
Today, let us work to try to point the people whom we encounter not toward what they want, but help them embrace what they need, and let them trust in the Lord to provide that for them.

the Rolling Stones - You Can't Always Get What You Want from Rock & Roll Circus

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Oh Yeah, Football

Lutheran Carnival LV

And Music Still On MTV