Reflection on Readings

Some questions I have from the assigned readings for the class:

1) How do you reference commentaries in a sermon? For this sermon, I have read 5 commentaries that I have, plus another 5 or 6 articles online on this text. I have gained some insights on the text from these. Since these ideas were not mine, how do I cite them? The article ETHICS AND THE USE OF SERMON RESOURCES: from the October 2007 issue of The Clergy Journal is focused on the "borrowing" of whole passages or entire sermons from online sermon resources. But how do we credit others for that spark that jump starts a sermon.

2) The set of articles arguing a pro-PowerPoint and anti-PowerPoint perspectives put up false, straw men type arguments. The anti article feels that anything beyond the preacher's voice is distracting. I would assume he is in favor of removing children as well. However, the PowerPoint proponent actually agrees with him in terms of using text. The pro argument is to find visuals that compliment the sermon's message, and minimizes the use of text in the presentation.

3) The Witte paper lifts up technology and multimedia as tools to help the preacher gain credibility for their proclamation. I disagree with that nuanced position, but agree with the sentiment. I agree that multimedia can help make the connection between preacher and congregation, and improve the reception between the intended message and the received message. I disagree with the author's nuancing of the ethos of the preacher; I believe congregations are still looking to their pastors for Biblical authority and leadership, even while maintaining a suspicion of anyone in a position of authority.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Oh Yeah, Football

Lutheran Carnival LV

And Music Still On MTV