Being Alone

from the March 2015 Messenger

I remember the days of my puppy hood when it was warm outside and there was this green stuff under my paws instead of all of this snow. It’s fun, especially when my Big Guy takes the shovel to throw some of it in the air. I’m not really sure why he does that because it just comes back a few days later.


While he went away to some place called Michigan, I had a lot of alone time to think about things. I missed him a lot and was afraid that I’d never see him again. I felt so alone. I wondered if I had done something wrong that made him get angry with me. I knew I had been bad and chewed on some stuff that made him angry. Maybe I was being punished. I thought that maybe he didn’t love me anymore.

But after some quality time of belly rubs and a lot of treats, I understood that he went to learn more about how to be a better pastor, especially to families and young humans. I guess that’s ok. Maybe I need to go to one of these conferences to learn how to be a better bulldogge. But I think I’m pretty good at it as I am.

One of the things I thought about while I was alone is about what it means to feel alone.

Just like I thought that the bad things I did might have caused my Big Guy to not love me, I think people might think that the bad things you do might cause God to not love you. Then you feel like you are all alone, and you get really sad.

But God never leaves you, nor does God stop loving you. It doesn’t matter what you do; what you mess up, or tear up or chew up – God always loves you. While my Big Guy is pretty forgiving, God is even more forgiving. It doesn’t take as long for God to forgive you as it does for my Big Guy to forgive me. And you don’t have to do anything special like I do when I look all sad and cute. God forgives you because that’s what God does.

When you feel alone because you’ve done something that you think is bad, all you have to do is tell God about it. Tell God that you are sorry for whatever you chewed or did wrong. Then remember that when you got water splashed on you when you were baptized, God promised to always forgive you. And God always will.

Licks and Love, Ananias

This is Ananias when I picked him up after my trip. He was almost as excited as I was.   -- pbc

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Oh Yeah, Football

Lutheran Carnival LV

And Music Still On MTV