Taking Time

 
This is my Pastor’s Ponderings article for the June-Early July OS/Em Newsletter.

Tomorrow is a day of solemn rest, a holy Sabbath to the LORD; bake what you want to bake and boil what you want to boil, and all that is left over put aside to be kept until morning. – Exodus 16:23

We are made to rest from time to time, by commandment, at least one day per week. Sometimes, you need to get away to rest.

That’s what I did a few weeks ago when I went back to Gettysburg. I went for their Spring Academy, a week-long set of workshops for pastors and others. But most of all, I wanted to go where I could find a place of peace.

One of the things I have loved about Gettysburg since my first visit is that it is a place where I can find peace and reflect upon what God is calling me to do. I was able to remember the spiritual disciplines I had while I was at the seminary.

There are times that I struggle with nurturing my own soul with prayer, meditation and reading God’s word. When things get busy with my church duties, especially preparing sermons, materials for classes, etc., sometimes sitting down to read the Bible for devotional content feels too much like work.

I was reminded on how I made time while still doing all of the reading and other work while taking classes. So I’m trying to do some of those things. I’m working through a reading plan, and am taking quiet time to listen for what the Word is saying.

We all have those times when it is hard to make time to hear from God. We need to work through those times, to stay in touch with God and hear what God is calling us to do.

Time Away and Getting In Touch

One of the things that I have learned, sometimes the hard way, in the six months of our partnership with Nazareth, is the need for having a Sabbath. I have found that on weeks when I haven’t taken time away for myself, I feel like a cellphone that hasn’t been put on the charger.

I’ve tried taking different days during the week, and haven’t found anything that has worked consistently for me. During this Summer, I will plan on taking Fridays for myself, and trying to have a weekend.

However, when things come up that need to be addressed, I will be available, and I will find other times to get away and have quality bulldogge time.

As always, if you need to get in touch with me, call me on my cell phone 715-773-2004. In addition to spending time at offices at both Our Savior’s and Nazareth, I am looking at changing some things at the parsonage, and may get rid of the land line there.

One of the ways that I will recharge this Summer is by going back home to Saginaw in mid-August to visit family and friends.

May God’s peace be with you always, Pastor Brian

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Oh Yeah, Football

Lutheran Carnival LV

And Music Still On MTV