LIves Matter



os_message_1oct2017_ed.m4a
Download File


em_message_1oct2017_ed.m4a
Download File

Below is my outline for my sermon on October 1 using the Call of Moses pericope from Exodus 2:23-25; 3:1-15; 4:10-17. Above are recordings from 2 services; there was some variations.
  • Last week, Jacob gets the family’s blessing from God. Between then and now, basically, watch the movie Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat
  • The Israelites groaned under their slavery, and cried out.
    • God heard their groaning, & God remembered his covenant with Abraham, Isaac, & Jacob. God looked upon the Israelites, & God took notice of them
    • People of Israel, Jacob’s sons, went to Egypt &left the land that was promised
      • Under Joseph, they were protected.
        Under a new Pharaoh, they were made slaves.
    • They suffer & God knows. God wants to act & God wants someone to act thru
  • God sees Moses, who has fled Egypt because he killed an Egyptian who was mistreating an Israelite
    • God calls Moses and gives him this task
    • Moses knows things are not going well for the people of Israel
    • But he makes excuses why he can’t do it
      • Who am I that I should go to Pharaoh, & bring the Israelites out of Egypt?
        • Or, why me?
      • If I come to the Israelites & say to them, ‘The God of your ancestors has sent me to you,’ & they ask me, ‘What is his name?’ what shall I say to them?
        • Or, who are you?
      • O my Lord, I have never been eloquent, … but I am slow of speech and slow of tongue. Or, I’m not good enough
      • O my Lord, please send someone else. Or, I don’t want to
    • God rebuts all of Moses’ excuses and concerns
      • I will be with you all of the time. The God who created the world & the God of your ancestors will be with you. I will give you the ability you need. I will have others help you.
      • It is a straight-forward rejection of all of Moses’ excuses.
        • This is a typical call story. A call story being when God calls someone to serve, to do God’s will. After they answer, “Here I am,” after they are told what God wants of them, then come the excuses.
        • Usually the excuses are the last two that Moses used
          • I’m not good enough. Or I don’t want to.
        • Most people won’t tell God they don’t want to do what God wants of them, even if they don’t.
        • Instead, they say they aren’t good enough, they don’t have the skills
          • God does not call those who have the skills, but maybe not the will
          • God gives the skills to those who are willing
            • In other words, God equips those whom God calls
              God doesn’t call the equipped
            • God provides.
              God provides the skills you need. God helps you find a way.
            • If you are willing to answer God’s call, God will give you what you need. It may be in a way totally opposite to what you expect
            • You just have to be willing to help and serve when God points out people who are in need, people who are in trouble
              • The problem is, too often, we don’t want to
    • The Israelites groaned, and cried out. Their cry for help rose up to God. God heard their groaning, & God remembered. God looked upon them, and God took notice of them.
      • The people of Israel were in trouble, and God was moved to help them
      • God helped by moving Moses, then supporting him in his work
        • When God calls us to help, are we willing to help?
        • Or are we conflicted & compromised by our loyalties or sympathies?
          • Are we willing to listen, are we willing to help when people groan and cry out. When they cry for help.
      • Will we admit that their lives matter?
        • I know that is a loaded phrase, and I use it intentionally.
          • I’m not saying their lives matter more than anyone else’s.
            • Actually, no one who uses that phrase ever said or implied that.
              • Although, some people chose to hear it that way
          • If you have been, or if you feel you have been, abused, mistreated, ignored, wronged, you have to wonder if your life matters.
            • If you see that happening to your loved ones, to ones who you care about, you have to wonder if their lives matter.
            • And so you act to find out: Does Your Life Matter?
              • You march in the streets. You speak up and speak out.
              • You boycott. You protest. You tell anyone who will listen.
              • You register to vote. You refuse to give up your seat on a bus.
              • You throw tea into the harbor. You help people escape.
              • You sit at a counter where you won’t be served.
              • You take a knee. You beg for help.
        • When people groan and cry out. When they cry for help, will you admit that THEIR. LIVES. MATTER?
          • Can you trust someone when they groan and cry out for help? Or will you have an excuse. Will you think their life doesn’t matter?
        • Or will you say, “Here, I am. I will go.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Oh Yeah, Football

Lutheran Carnival LV

And Music Still On MTV