A Prayer for Today

Sarah saw the son of Hagar the Egyptian, whom she had borne to Abraham, playing with her son Isaac. So she said to Abraham, ‘Cast out this slave woman with her son; for the son of this slave woman shall not inherit along with my son Isaac.’-Genesis 21:9, 10

Pilgrim God:
Ishmael was the son
Of Abram’s impatience,
The hapless child
Of his unwillingness
To wait in the howling wilderness
Of the not-yet fulfilled promise.
Ishmael and his mother were the victims,
The collateral damage
Of a botched attempt
To accelerate the pace
Of your unfolding purposes.
Help me to see, Lord,
That there are times
When to act is to be disobedient,
That there are times
When to run ahead
Is to fall hopelessly behind.
Today, I remember all those who must
Learn the way of patient obedience;
Who find themselves stranded
In the featureless desert,
In the twilight world, the ‘not yet’
Of your covenant promise.
Amen.

From the "Pray Now" series, from the Church of Scotland.


Lord, help me to remember that when I agree that Your will should be done, that includes when Your will be done. Lord, I am so anxious to begin this journey. Help me to focus on what I need to do now before I embark. Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Oh Yeah, Football

Lutheran Carnival LV

And Music Still On MTV