Monday Morning Quarterbacks

Let me start by saying my mom's doing better. She's been hospitalized with double pneumonia. She feels, sounds and looks a lot better than when I got back. She's waiting to get out of the hospital. To all the LTS people who heard & sent prayers, thanks.

Bon Jovi - It's My Life

When I was coaching football, one of my pet peeves were the "experts" who would sit in the stands and second guess everything the coaches did. Why'd you play this kid? Why did you call that play? The 'experts' whose experience was getting run off their JV team and yelling at the TV on Saturdays and Sundays had no idea what we were trying to do and what kids knew how to do what. With running youth sports on Saturdays, I dreaded a poor Friday performance, because I would hear from people who can't teach 4th graders to line up for free throws tell me why we should throw deep routes on 3rd & 1. When we converted the first down.

This hasn't been an easy year for my family. I made a difficult decision to follow a call from God, and leave my parents back in Michigan, knowing they had health issues. We talked about the very real possibility of me receiving "the call to come home." Before I moved to far in the discernment process, we talked and talked about all of the issues. My parents were on board. When I was considering loading up the car and heading back, my dad talked me out of it. When he passed away this January, my mom wanted me to go back. I told her I would stay, but she wanted me to go back. I know she missed me, and I missed her.

Now that she's been sick for a week & a half, I'm finding out that family and friends think that I am selfish. That I've abandoned my parents, and now my mother. That I am going into the ministry to serve my own ego. Because it is all about me. That I can't minister to others because I don't care about my own family.

These are the same people who have not called my mother more than 3 times since my father's death. Caller ID is a real hoot. These are the same people who have NEVER called me to see how I am doing. But they shouldn't. It's my job. And I'm ignoring it, because I'm selfish.

I feel safe venting here, because while all of my family and friends know about this site, the only ones who do check it, are ones that I hear from. I hope they don't take this rant to heart, because it's not directed at them. They check in, and we hear from them. If someone has an issue with me, or my decisions, they can take it up with me, assuming they can figure out how to get a hold of me.

Comments

Trish said…
Coach, I think you're the last thing from selfish, from what I've read on your blog. It takes a lot to MOVE AWAY from family and friends you love in order to prepare to serve God and God's church. You went AWAY from the known and familiar; you went AWAY from a job you enjoyed; you went AWAY from the life you knew. Most people have instincts to tell them to cling to these things, and I think it is a very unselfish thing to fling yourself into the unknown in response to the gifts of God worked in you. I'm sorry you're having to put up with so much flak. Prayers and peace.
Ryan said…
If their definition of "caring about your family" is packing up and moving back to Michigan, even though they're (in this case, your mom) OK with you being in Pennsylvania, why aren't they the ones helping out?

While I can't really put myself in your shoes (for a lot of reasons), I kinda know what you mean - and the sad reality is the church is full of these people too - the ones that think somebody screwed up or somebody should help out, but yet, they don't wanna do it better. That's what I always believe - if you really can't or don't wanna try to do it better, you're better off staying out of it.

Hope you can start CPE with well, sanity.

Popular posts from this blog

Oh Yeah, Football

Lutheran Carnival LV

And Music Still On MTV