Four Parables, Four Messages

These are my sermons for January 17th. The text for this day is Mark 4:1-34. The center piece of these four parables is the Parable of the Sower. It is by far, my favorite parable, and I chose not to preach on it, other than in my Small Talk (Children's Message.) Instead, I preached a different sermon at each of the three churches. The reason for my madness is explained at the beginning of each message.

These are my written manuscripts. What I actually said is probably close to this, I think, because I'm scheduling this post on Saturday night, after the Packers game.
SMALL TALK (the same at all three churches)
In the lesson I’m going to read, Jesus tells some stories to describe what God’s Kingdom is like. One of the stories is about someone who sows seeds. That doesn’t mean they go out with a needle and thread, but that they scatter seeds.

When they scatter them, some fall on the path or roads and can’t get into the soil, so birds come along and eat them. Some fall where there are rocks below the soil and the seeds can’t grow roots, so they die. Some fall where there are weeds, and the weeds don’t let the seeds grow, and they die there as well.

It may seem that the sower, the person scattering the seed, didn’t do a good job. They wasted that seed that went on the road or where it was rocky or where there were weeds, and nothing came out of those seeds. But we don’t always know where there are rocks or weeds, and I’ve seen lots of plants growing on paths and roads.
Jesus said that the seeds were the Word, the Good News about him coming to share God’s love with us through his life, death and being raised.

So from this story, I think he wants us share His Good News with everyone and everywhere because we don’t know where it will take hold and grow. God’s love can bloom in some of the most unlikely places. We just need to share it, or in this story, sow it.

So, this week, try to share God’s love with everyone, but especially in unlikely places, with people who you don’t think may want to know God loves them. Sometimes, those are the people who most need to hear it.

NAZARETH
We are seven weeks into this three-fold arrangement, and I’m violating something I said I wouldn’t do. I’ve written a separate sermon for each church.

I’ve done this because as I read and prayed about this text and the parables Jesus tells, I could relate one to each of the three churches, because there is something about each church that connected with one of the parables. So, other than this introduction, each message is different. If you want to know what I said to the other churches, my written text will appear on our website at noon.

What’s bothering me the most about this is that my FAVORITE parable, the parable of the sower, one that I’ve done extensive research on, is not one that I’ll preach on, other than what you’ve already heard in the Small Talk.

The kingdom of God is as if someone would scatter seed on the ground, and would sleep and rise night and day, and the seed would sprout and grow, he does not know how. The earth produces of itself, first the stalk, then the head, then the full grain in the head. But when the grain is ripe, at once he goes in with his sickle, because the harvest has come.
I truly feel for all of you for what your congregation has gone through in the past couple of years. Having to admit that you couldn’t do something you have done is not easy. We struggle to do that in so many areas of our lives. Realizing you couldn’t support a full-time pastor on your own as you had couldn’t have been easy. You were among the first congregations to reach out to ask others to cooperate, and it took a long time to get an even somewhat positive response. Then Pastor Bonnie retires after having served here for a number of years.

You have been through a lot.

You are trusting that God has a mission for you, even though you don’t know what it is. You have some security and stability, at least for what is left of the six months, and are trusting this new relationship will work out.

I understand that anxiety.

I’ve been asking myself for 4 ½ years what an inner city guy is doing in the dairy lands of Wisconsin. Not only is this not the context I expected to do ministry in, this is not a context I am familiar with. I am used to a community that has a high crime rate and is very diverse ethnically. None of those are terms that describe this part of Clark County.

But I trust that the Holy Spirit has called me here to proclaim the Good News of Jesus Christ, and to lead those under my pastoral care to share the love of God with one another and with the least, the last, the lost, the little ones and those who are alone. This is what I am called to do, even though he does not know how. 
That’s good, because I do a lot of things I don’t know how they happen. I drove here this morning, but I don’t know the details of how my car operates. I surely don’t know how to fix it when it doesn’t work. I can report what lights were on and try to simulate whatever noises were made, but I don’t know how it works.

And you don’t have to know how something works to do it.

I don’t have to know computer programming to use my computer.

We don’t have to know how God’s kingdom works, or understand how God could love and forgive us to know what our response should be. In response to God’s mercy and love, we should share that mercy and love with others.

The thing is, we don’t always know when we are doing it, and even more so, when it is effective. When you are packing food for the WOW Kids program, you know you are helping those who need help. But in many other things we do, we don’t know the results of that. That’s ok.

A farmer doesn’t know which seeds will take root and which won’t; or which seeds having taken root will sprout; or which sprouts will actually grow and ripen.

Nor do we know what of the things we do may help someone to understand and trust that God loves and forgives them.  We just need to keep at our work. We must scatter seed and tend to the fields. We have to persevere. We have to keep going.
That is what I ask of you, the people of Nazareth. Keep going.

We don’t know what the outcome will be. I have my thoughts, but I also thought the Lions would have a good season, so what do I know?

The Good News is that bringing about the Kingdom of God isn’t our responsibility. That belongs to God. We are just called to give of what has been given to us; grace upon grace, mercy upon mercy, love upon love.

The kingdom is near, we need to keep on scattering the seed. AMEN.

 OUR SAVIORS
We are seven weeks into this three-fold arrangement, and I’m violating something I said I wouldn’t do. I’ve written a separate sermon for each church.

I’ve done this because as I read and prayed about this text and the parables Jesus tells, I could relate one to each of the three churches, because there is something about each church that connected with one of the parables. So, other than this introduction, each message is different. If you want to know what I said to the other churches, my written text will appear on our website at noon.

What’s bothering me the most about this is that my FAVORITE parable, the parable of the sower, one that I’ve done extensive research on, is not one that I’ll preach on, other than what you’ve already heard in the Small Talk.

Is a lamp brought in to be put under the bushel basket, or under the bed, and not on the lampstand? For there is nothing hidden, except to be disclosed; nor is anything secret, except to come to light. Let anyone with ears to hear listen! Pay attention to what you hear; the measure you give will be the measure you get, and still more will be given you. For to those who have, more will be given; and from those who have nothing, even what they have will be taken away,
These words from Jesus speak to me about the people of Our Savior’s. This church is blessed with open, giving people. You are friendly and welcoming people. You are generous, with your time, with your talents and with your resources. This makes it a pleasure to serve as your pastor.

In the days when I coached high school football, we had a running back who was SO TALENTED. As a sophomore, he stood 6’3, 225 pound and ran a sub 4.4 40 yard dash. Those are numbers that get you drafted early in the NFL draft and he was a high school sophomore. When college coaches stopped by games or practices, they wanted to know who he was.

The problem with this young man was that he could do well on natural ability. He didn’t work hard. He didn’t do extra work. He didn’t lift weights. He didn’t condition in the off season. He did not push himself, either academically or athletically. He still did well, but his potential went unfulfilled.

The college coaches who drooled over his physical profile realized he wasn’t a hard worker. While they were intrigued with his potential, they recruited young men who they knew would put in the hard work that was needed.

There is SO much potential to do good in this congregation. We just need to do more.

I know some people are staring holes through me right now. I know that because there are some people who are here as much as I am. I thank you for all that you do.
But I am looking at what this congregation can do specifically in two areas. One, teaching and sharing what the Good News of Jesus Christ, the Son of God really means. Two, loving one another as Christ has loved us, especially focusing on the least, the last, the lost, the little and those who are alone.

First, I am asking you all to look at ways that we can better tell others about God’s love as shown through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. We need to be better at sharing why we think it is important to worship God for all God has done for us. Part of doing that is to have a better understanding of what God has done for us and why. I believe that can come from regularly coming to worship services. I believe it means taking part in your children’s faith formation and not just dropping them off. I believe it means reading the Bible and talking about the stories in there, either within your family or in groups. I’ve struggled to put together adult classes. Give me a day and time, and if I’m available, I’ll be there.

Second, Clark County has a poverty rate above 15%. That is significantly higher than the rest of Wisconsin, and above the national average. Out of the blessings we have, how can we help those who are without? Nazareth and Emmanuel participate in a program to provide food for families on weekends. For many school age children, the only balance meal they get is what they get at school. Is that a program that we can take the lead in putting together? Are there other areas where people need help that we can help?

You all do a wonderful job of taking care of one another, of rallying to support someone in the church who is struggling. Can we do the same with our neighbors?

This congregation is blessed. You are generous and caring. You shine with the light of the love of Christ.

I’m asking you to not hide that light. Take the light of what we do, and magnify it with the light of the things that we will do, sharing God’s love as we are told to do.
Let anyone who has ears hear this.

The light of God’s love shines brightly at Our Savior’s and will shine as a beacon of hope for all. AMEN.

EMMANUEL
We are seven weeks into this three-fold arrangement, and I’m violating something I said I wouldn’t do. I’ve written a separate sermon for each church.

I’ve done this because as I read and prayed about this text and the parables Jesus tells, I could relate one to each of the three churches, because there is something about each church that connected with one of the parables. So, other than this introduction, each message is different. If you want to know what I said to the other churches, my written text will appear on our website at noon.

What’s bothering me the most about this is that my FAVORITE parable, the parable of the sower, one that I’ve done extensive research on, is not one that I’ll preach on, other than what you’ve already heard in the Small Talk.

With what can we compare the kingdom of God, or what parable will we use for it? It is like a mustard seed, which, when sown upon the ground, is the smallest of all the seeds on earth; yet when it is sown it grows up and becomes the greatest of all shrubs, and puts forth large branches, so that the birds of the air can make nests in its shade.
Now, you may think I chose this parable for Emmanuel because Emmanuel is the smallest of the three churches. You would get partial credit for that answer. It is part of the reason.

One of the many things that I did not know before I started attending Seminary was how much I was going to have to learn about agriculture and horticulture to be able to understand Jesus’ parables. I grew up in the inner city, the only agriculture I knew was cutting the grass, trying not to run over the few plants my mom had, and occasionally trimming shrubs and rose bushes.

But I learned that we have to do some digging and extra reading about the agriculture of Jesus’ time because some details really are important.

Jesus was being very generous in calling mustard a shrub. It is a weed. Unless you tend to it very diligently, you won’t have A mustard plant. You will have MANY mustard plants.

A commentary that I read describes mustard plants as: at the very least pesky and often somewhat dangerous. Wild mustard is incredibly hard to control, and once it takes root it could take over a whole planting area.
But I mean this comparison in a good way. I’m not saying that you are pesky, dangerous, hard to control and a risk to take over everything. You are resilient. You are determined.

In the discussions of cooperating between the churches, you were willing to talk about being innovative. We talked about Saturday afternoon services and what that could mean for the future of this congregation. You have been willing to give the most of the churches, and are the centerpiece of this arrangement.

Emmanuel and Our Savior’s have been cooperating for 30 plus years to call a pastor. Emmanuel and Nazareth have been cooperating for years on Vacation Bible School and recently to be a part of the WOW Kids program in Owen-Withee. When the churches, in whatever combination, get together to do something, you will come, even if it isn’t here. You are also welcoming and inviting to visitors when they come, whether from Our Savior’s or Nazareth, or from other places.

You are innovative, sometimes out of necessity. I’ve shared with you how impressed Bishop Hoyme has been in how you give up worshiping in the sanctuary during the winter to save money and how Sunday School keeps going through the service when we are in here.

In the weeks, months and years ahead, I ask you to continue to put forth large branches so that the birds of the air can make nests in its shade.
There are ways for each church to share the Good News of Jesus Christ, the Son of God. We can invite more people. We can do more to help those who are the least, the last, the lost, the little ones and those who are alone.

I pray that Emmanuel continues to be the resilient shrub, putting down deep and firm roots. I pray that Emmanuel, no matter its size will continue to be a place that all can come and be welcome. AMEN.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Oh Yeah, Football

Lutheran Carnival LV

And Music Still On MTV