Wondering About the Other Lazarus

This is Ananias' article from the September newsletter.
My Big Guy told me I had to write this month’s article because he was tired of writing. I’m glad he trusts me to help out.

He’s been reading some of the stories Jesus told to me at night. These parables don’t always make sense, and I like that. It gives me something to chew on when he’s away, besides bones and some furniture.

He read this one about a rich guy named Lazarus (not the one who died and was raised, this one just died) and a poor man. The story is in Luke 16:19-31. The poor man was so poor that he didn’t even have a name.

So they both die; the poor guy goes with the angels, and Lazarus goes to Hades. Lazarus wants Father Abraham to send the poor guy to Lazarus’ family to warn them to change their ways. Abraham refuses, because they all heard from Moses and the prophets what they were to do.

My Big Guy has explained to me that the Law of the people of Israel told them to take care of the poor, the hungry and the needy. But Lazarus ignored this poor guy who lived outside of his house.

It reminds me of how much good we can do with just a little effort. All of the rain they have had in Houston makes me worry about the people and their pets. My Big Guy showed me a video of people rescuing a bunch of dogs who were left behind when their people had to get out.

Lazarus had been blessed during his lifetime. He didn’t have to worry if he would have enough. But he either forgot that we are blessed so that we can be a blessing to others. The good things that God has given us are for us to help those in need. If you are on top, you need to reach down to pull others up.

This isn’t just in helping others who are poor, or homeless, or hungry. This includes those who are rejected because of who they are. It might be because of their skin color, where they came from, who they love, or who they pray to. I don’t understand this. All of you people are so much alike. Yeah, I’m nervous to meet you, but once I know you will be nice to me, I want to get to know you, and share my love with you.

You all can be so much braver than I am. And you can share your love, and God’s love so much easier. I can only give sloppy kisses and rub up against you. You can help each other. You can change someone’s life.

Lazarus wound up regretting not acting and sharing with the poor man. Living a life regretting not helping others must be a torture all on its own.

Please don’t be like Lazarus and ignore the people who can use your help. My Big Guy said we are forgiven so we can give to others, and that we are saved so we can serve. I think that’s a really good idea.

Love and Licks, Ananias

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Oh Yeah, Football

Lutheran Carnival LV

And Music Still On MTV