For Those About To Be Rocked, I Salute You

For those in certain pastoral preparation programs, Memorial Day weekend has a special significance. It isn't the debate on the role of patriotic songs in worship (We did hear "The Battle Hymn of the Republic" as the closing hymn at the G'burg Lutheran Church I attended today. But when you have a soldier shot on the steps of the church during the battle, I think you have to.) No, the event is the beginning of CPE, your Clinical Pastoral Education. Prospective minister candidates from various traditions will spend the summer being chaplains at hospitals, nursing homes and other settings. It is an opportunity to learn what "doing ministry" means and the emotional and physical toll it takes on you.

My own experience last summer was difficult. Spending 10 weeks at a hospital only 4 months from my dad's death and after spending the week prior taking care of my mother who was hospitalized with double pneumonia added to my challenge. It colored my experience. But in looking back on it, it was an incredibly worthwhile experience. I will never be able to say I enjoyed it. But I learned a lot, especially about myself, and feel I am a better person, and will be a more effective minister for the experience.

During the fall, members of my class were asked to talk to the first year students about our CPE experience. I was one of them. That was probably a mistake. At the time, the first-years were having (as a group) some issues with the isolation the seminary cocoon creates. At the time, I was having some issues with processing the CPExperience. So, rather than sticking to the script of reassurance and support, I started my remarks with, "CPE is the most challenging and hardest thing I have ever done." That's pastoral care. I shared with them the issues and concerns I had, along with some suggestions. Here are some of those suggestions:

Be prepared
o For what you will see / sense
o For what you will be asked
• Why did God do this to me?
• What will happen to _____ when they die?
• How can God forgive me when I can’t forgive myself?
• Will I go to heaven?
o For what you will feel
• Have people you can talk to
• Have a spiritual discipline
• Self-care may be the most important thing you learn
o For honesty
• To say it and to hear it
o For where you will see and feel God at work
• Do some homework

I wish the best educational experience for all of the 'Burgers, and everyone, going out on CPE no matter their setting or tradition. They are going out to be representatives of God in situations where people's faith is in flux. You will be in my thoughts and prayers. I hope you will be challenged, because without challenge there is no growth. I hope you will be pushed, because without resistance you cannot get stronger. I hope you will be touched, because without pressure precious gems cannot be formed.


AC/DC - For those about to rock

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Oh Yeah, Football

Lutheran Carnival LV

And Music Still On MTV